Reflections so far in MAC:
I am so happy to finally be in a program/classes that is applicable to my life after college and my career. Coming straight out of undergrad with memories of English classes full of novels impossible to read in the week given to us, and with exams based off of the courses but not necessarily based on what I'll need for my future, it is refreshing to be in classes where I can see that the application of the information will be critical to my success as a teacher.
So far in the program, it seems that it began with a bang- classes immediately took off, and it was definitely and adjustment from my relaxed summer schedule since graduation. The to-do list has been essential for my sanity :) I'm really enjoying Eugenie's class on the Foundations of Educational Reform- I think it's really important to understand the history of schooling and how it's evolved (or, in some cases, how it hasn't...) in order to understand where we are now in the educational realm and how we can make the system better. It is difficult, though, to recognize the vastness of the problems that exist in education, and to also recognize that there is only so much as teachers that we can do. I wish every teacher was as motivated as the individuals in this program. Every comment that people make in our class periods is so reflective and thought-provoking; it really reinforces to me that there are good, intelligent, motivated teachers entering the field that will be responsible for the amount of dedication and change that we need in the US.
I'm getting really excited for the fall classes, where we will take all of our thoughts and reflections from the summer and turn them into practical applications by making lesson plans and being in the classroom. I think that starting student teaching will be really exiting because it is going to be a view into the world that I'll be entering after graduation. I'm looking forward to learning from my mentor teacher as well as the professors, because I think they'll bring two different perspectives that are both crucial to my development as a teacher.
Until next time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree....the to-do list is saving my life. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like undergrad was seemingly unconnected to real life :)
Hi Allison. It's Lauren, your blogging buddy ex-SMACer. The to-do list saved our lives, too. Even though the summer seems frenzied, it's a great theoretical base for that practical application in the fall. Believe me, you'll use "Backward Design" for the rest of your teaching career.
I'm glad that you feel connected to the work. It can be daunting when you think about it on such a large scale, but you just learn to take it one lesson at a time, making the most of what you've got. Most of all, it's those students, and watching that light turn on in their eyes when they "get" something. That's what re-energizes me everyday.
Have fun! Greetings from the Bronx.
Cheers,
Lauren
I totally agree, Alli. I have really enjoyed Eugenie's class thus far. The PBS special about education was a great crash course in the history of education in America. And I am definitely still adjusting to the summerless schedule.
Post a Comment