Over the past couple weeks I've really started to adjust to our new fall schedule. It'll be interesting once classes change a bit after 695 and 649 are done, but right now I'm having trouble focusing on classes in general when it's so fun to go to my placement! This week was rough for me because I got sick, so I wasn't able to go to my placement at all :(. It bummed me out because I was just starting to learn the kids' names! On the bright side, I chaperoned homecoming (even if it was partially an attempt to procrastinate the 649 paper...) last night so I got to see a lot of my students all dressed up- it made me miss high school! And it was funny because half of them didn't want to look "uncool" by chatting with me, but others were yelling "hey ms. turner!" from across the hall. Pretty funny. The theme was "mardi gras" so I handed out masks to all the kids.
I'm really excited to actually start teaching a bit over the next few weeks. So far I've really just been observing- which is fine because I'd be really nervous jumping right into teaching! I've got some cool ideas that I've talked with my mentor about- I think I'll try using the cell phone polling method that we went over in a 504 class to try and enhance one of the classes where we review what we've been reading. I'm not sure whether 9th or 11th graders would be more interested in polling onto the powerpoint- but hey, I thought it was cool!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm jealous that you're already chaperoning school events! I'm sure that would make me miss HS big time. And yeah, once we get these big papers out of the way I'm sure things will settle down a bit. One down, one to go!
Cool move, Alli. Seizing the opportunities to get to know your students in contexts other than class is a really fine idea, and it will pay dividends.
Post a Comment