Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Winter Break!

Allison R. and Dan sent out an email asking for peoples' opinions on the school system in the US and whether or not it was biased towards Christianity, and it really got me thinking about my position on religion in the public school system, especially around the upcoming holiday season.
This is taken from my response to Allison, where I realized that I'm passionate about this issue:
"As far as the school system in the US, I think that it used to be biased for Christmas (we used to call this break "Christmas Break," or at least we did at my elem school) and kids used to be able to talk about what they're doing for Christmas, etc. Then I can remember when we started to talk in school about how it was Christmas and Hanukkah that were celebrated over break. Elementary schools now had trees and Menorahs in the classrooms :) But now it seems just entirely taboo to talk about any holiday, which to me is frustrating because I think peoples' beliefs should be celebrated, not shoved into a corner. I don't find it offensive for people to have differing beliefs than myself, and I think that an open forum for discussion on holidays and beliefs in the classroom could contribute to a more open-minded upbringing for many children. It's no secret that I come from the "side" supporting the classroom as a behavioral as well as intellectual place for education, and that I think we are raising citizens as well as students. Being exposed to each others' beliefs can really only help our students, as far as I'm concerned, and I think that learning about different cultures and religions, as well as be able to talk about each others' beliefs in a way that is inquisitive and respectful."
I wish we were exposed to more culture and religion throughout our school experience- in my opinion it would foster a much more accepting world. Just think about if we could combat the negative stereotypes about the Muslim religion and culture with discussions on this religion and the principals it upholds. Or how we could supplement the terror of WWII by creating an open forum for discussion on Judaism and Christianity and how these religions and peoples are not as different as one may think. I think there is a lot of room for the discussion of religion without pushing any religious "agenda" that many individuals think may happen in this situation.

These are my thoughts, take it or leave it :)

1 comment:

rena! said...

When I was reading this post, I couldn't help but think of Bill O'Reilly's theory that there is a "war on Christmas". I would have to totally agree with you, Alli. I find that way too many people see these religions as diametrically opposed to one another. On the contrary, most of the world's largest religions are steeped in the same philosophical ideas of humanity. As a student of history, it becomes very clear that religion is but one aspect of humanity that has remained constant. Why we can't teach religion in this manner is beyond me; in fact I might just do it even if it's taboo.