Monday, January 12, 2009

Weird.

One week into second semester, I'm loving it. Being able to see the classroom environment and interact with the kids daily instead of twice a week is fantastic. Last semester, I felt like I never knew what was happening with the kids because I was never here on consecutive days. They would ask me questions about what happened the day before or when something was due, and I didn't know the answer, which made me feel inadequate because I couldn't help them. So far it's been really nice to be able to get to know the kids on a new level and have them see me as part of the classroom. I already feel like I know them better after only having been back a week.
On a different and much more depressing note, today was a weird day at school- during second hour, the principal (Mr. White) was sitting in on our class and got a phone call that caused him to leave the room. Shortly after, my teacher got a phone call. And then there was an announcement telling all teachers to please check their email. The email explained that, during second hour, a 9th grader had fallen ill in gym class and was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Teachers were instructed to read the attached letter to their students during 6th hour, and to expect that some students may need psychological help from the crisis team that has been assembled in the career center. This whole situation is really surreal because this is the first time there has been a crisis since I've been at Pioneer (minus a few small things). To have this happen in your school is awful. Right now all of the teachers are aware of the situation, but the students have not been told anything yet. I wonder how they will handle the news. Personally, I feel very strange because I didn't know this kid at all, but for those who did I can only imagine what they must be going through. It's all so sudden. It will be interesting to see if the climate of the school changes at all throughout this week as people deal with the grief.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

This has been one of those weeks. There is a student at my school who was violently attacked and I have at least one student who knew both the child at your school and the one at my school.

My kids are very stressed out already since they are seniors and it is finals week next week, and I feel badly for them that they have to deal with these situations during such a tough time.

I hope next semester goes better for them...

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Alli
These situation sadly will happen as you continue in your teaching career. I wish that I had more training on how to deal with them when I was teaching high school. When I was teaching we had a student commit suicide, and I remember feeling very unprepared to handle counseling the students. My best advice came from the guidance counselors who said that they were equipped to handle students who were upset and that it was always an option to send any students to them. They also told me that students need to be reminded that they are safe and loved in most situations. Therefore having an "open door" policy where they could "stop by" to talk was also a good option. Therefore when a horrible situation happened at school, I would announce to my students that they are welcome to "stop by" anytime for any reason.